Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Longhorn Cattle Company/San Benito, TX

Type of experience: Wrong But Resolved.

Longhorn Cattle Company

3055 West Expressway 83
San Benito, TX 78586

http://www.longhorncattlecompany.com/

Date and time: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, evening

On the recommendation of several people, we joined a group of neighbors to go to Longhorn Cattle Company for dinner. We'd heard so much about it, and I figured with careful consideration a steak place should be just fine. While the meal turned out to be very good in the end, it was a trial to get it right.

Upon arrival, I asked for the manager to determine what would be safe for me to eat. He/she never came out, but the waitress informed me that the kitchen did not know the ingredients to the spices added to their grilled meats. I opted for a steak with no seasoning, a baked potato and a salad with oil and vinegar and no croƻtons. ( I never use salad dressings from restaurants unless I know for sure there is no gluten in them.)

My salad arrived promptly. It was fresh and just fine. Then the meals came out and they all looked wonderful, except mine. It had a thick slice of Texas Toast across the top of it.

I had watched the waitress put explicit instructions on the order ticket before it was sent to the kitchen, and still my meal came with a big chunk of gluten on it!

Again, I asked for the manager. I went to the lobby area to wait and again asked for the manager. I waited several minutes...he/she NEVER came out.

The waitress brought me a new freshly cooked steak and baked potato, assuring me that it was a new steak and gluten free. The steak was cooked perfectly, juicy and full of flavor, even without seasoning. I was a bit nervous as I tasted something extra in it, and the waitress explained that the steaks are cooked over mesquite. It was scrumptious!

The rest of the party enjoyed their meals without any issues. Some had chops, some steak, some had the chicken. All were pleased and received their meals as ordered.

Would I go here again? Maybe. I'm a bit leery as the manager did not come out after two requests. I wish I got the waitress' name, as I would ask for her specifically next time. I do think for all the trouble I went through, the management should have 'comped' my meal, or at least discounted it, or at least come out and apologized, but they did not.

No comments: